Tuesday 4 November 2014

Finding Joy Through Loving Service



The Church pamphlet "For the Strength of Youth" counsels us that "Service to others is an important characteristic of a disciple of Jesus Christ". I want to be a good disciple of Jesus Christ, after all, when I was baptised at the end of August, I covenanted with Heavenly Father to take upon myself the name of Jesus Christ, to always remember Him, keep His commandments and to serve Him to the end. Regardless of all that, I also really enjoy helping people, so I'm keen to perform acts of service whenever I can. 

Today, I have another opportunity to serve in my local community - helping the Royal British Legion to raise money for the 2014 Poppy Appeal. The Legion are aiming to raise £40,000,000 for the Armed Forces through this year's appeal. You can read the story of the poppy here.



Church members have been helping our contact at the Royal British Legion sell paper poppies (donation only), commemorative wooden crosses (donations only), wristbands, car stickers, car bumper poppies, money boxes, etc at our local Tesco Supermarket for a couple of each hours each day for the past week. It's really not a difficult task - if you consider the number of men and women who gave their lives in both World War I and World War II, to allow us to now live in peacetime, you realise what little sacrifice a couple of hours once a year really is. 

There are so many ways to help out! You can volunteer and give a couple of hours of your time to the Royal British Legion, raising money to support their welfare work for the families of the armed forces past and present, or you can make a one-off or a regular donation. You can even donate online. There really are plenty of way to help out. 

Remember the commandment we were given in John 13:34-35:

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment