Monday 2 February 2015

Family Home Evening: No Technology Night!

It's Monday. 

Anyone who is familiar with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints will know that Monday is the night that the Church has dedicated to Family Home Evening. This is simply one night a week where the Church will not have any scheduled activities, to allow for families to be together and to participate in social and spiritual activities as a family. There is more information about the idea of Family Home Evening (FHE) in the BYU Enclyclopaedia of Mormonism webpage here.

I often feel as though I don't do enough each week to fulfil my spiritual requirements. One thing that has been lacking is Family Home Evening. There is only my husband and I at home (as of yet, we haven't been blessed with children). My husband is not a member of the Church and is not particularly religious. I hope that by setting an example at home, he will come to love the Gospel and love our Saviour, as I do. 

Being a single-member household makes Family Home Evening somewhat of a challenge. However, this week, my husband and I came to an agreement - one night a week, once he comes home from work, we will sit down together for dinner and have a "No Technology Night". 

What is No Technology Night?
No Technology Night is what is sounds like: an evening where we will refrain from using computers, watching television or using our mobile telephones. It is going to be an evening where we focus on each other, our relationship and communicating with each other, face to face.

I strongly believe that relationships are being damaged by the cultural necessity to remain 'plugged in'. We're losing the ability to just sit and chat with each other, to tell stories, play games: to enjoy each other's company. The following video was recently posted to my Facebook page and I couldn't help but be strongly moved by its message:


So, whether or not you are a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, whether you are Christian or not, I challenge you to start your own No Technology Night! Let's all reconnect with each other on a more basic level and let's start building our relationships back up.

Ideas for No Technology Night
  • Family History work
  • Story telling
  • Board Games
  • Card Games
  • Reading
  • Go for a walk in the local park
  • Visit a friend in need together
  • Write each other letters
If you decide to take me up on the No Technology Night Challenge, then let me know what you get up to!! 

Enjoy your time together - life is precious and remember that the family is central to Heavenly Father's Plan of Salvation. 




More resources for strengthening the family unit can be found here.





No comments:

Post a Comment